Saturday, 21 January 2017

Patons Everyday Moments: The Creative Collection


Once I started to knit, my likes and dislikes changed. I used to hate the look of cabling - until I started a pair of socks with little cables in it. I still enjoy them now and think cabling is wonderfully versatile. My experience with tweed has been similar. Before I became a knitter, I disliked the tweed look and didn't understand why so many people loved it. It looked too rugged to me and, as far as I could tell from my limited experience, it didn't even feel nice. Yet once I encountered all sorts of yarn over the years, I began to yearn for some tweed, too. Now I finally have a hand-dyed hank of tweed sock yarn in my stash that a friend made especially for me and I am trying to think of something nice to knit it into. I think it is fair to assume it will be socks, but I haven't settled on a pattern yet.

Patons Everyday Moments: The Creative Collection (sent to me for review by Laughing Hens) is a small collection of 8 patterns using Patons Tweed Style yarn. This yarn consists of 50% pure wool and 50% acrylic and comes in 14 different colours. If tweed is your thing, have a look at this pattern collection and something just might catch your eye.


Among the 8 options, you will find 2 hat and cowl sets (one for him and one for her), a poncho for her, a coat for her and a jacket for him, and 3 pullovers.  They all look very cosy and just right for the kind of weather we are having right now. Due to the thickness of the yarn there isn't any lace in this collection, but you have interesting cabling and straightforward stocking stitch. 

I can well imagine knitting one of the jumpers or the jacket for Mark, actually, though there are no patterns I would knit for myself - I'm just picky like that. Though I have to say the lady's pullover with cabling does interest me because it reminds me of the Icon Dress and Traveller Tunic. I have been tempted by the latter especially.


The instructions are laid out clearly and are mainly written. There are some charts for cables as well as diagrams to help with shaping and blocking. The measurements for individual parts of the garments are listed in a table for all sizes so you always know how your finished piece should measure up. (Also great for any modifications you may need to make.) At the beginning of the pattern, you find all necessary tools and materials, basic stitches, sizing and tension information, and abbreviations so you can prepare for what you're getting yourself into.

Have you used a Patons pattern before? How did you get on with it? And is there anything you're tempted by in this particular collection? Let me know!

Disclosure: This pattern collection was sent to me free of charge by Laughing Hens in exchange for a review. My opinions are impartial and honest and I do not receive monetary compensation for my post.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up on Patons patterns -- their two-needle mitten pattern is still my go-to when I need something basic. I've been making it since I was 12.

    I agree with you about the clear writing -- they're very beginner-friendly. The only thing is say is that design-wise they're at best basic/classic and at worst clumsy/ugly. Some of that has to do with the art direction -- I love the cardigan in the second photo, but the rest of the model's outfit seems at odds with it. As with a lot of knitting stuff, you have to filter out the presentation and focus on the design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the designs. Until you mentioned it, I never realised why Patons hadn't interested me so far: it is the fact that the patterns are not interesting enough.

      I suspect they work well for knittesr who are not yet confident enough to benture onto something more complex. Luckily, there is enough choice around for everyone of every skill level to find something they like.

      Delete