Tuesday, 27 December 2016

Opal Advent Calendar: The Final Six

Opal Advent Calendar 2016 on Absoknittinglutely

Hello again! I hope you are enjoying the Bank Holiday today and had a wonderful Christmas. Are you like me at this time of year? I have no idea what day of the week it is or the exact date because Christmas was filled with a lot of excitement, rest, mindfulness and a distinct lack of routine.

No wonder I am late showing you what I found in my Opal Advent Calendar the last 6 days. In the past week, the calendar felt noticeably lighter and I held on to the hope that a mini-skein of red sock yarn would be somewhere in there. Well, there is no really red skein, but I did get one that was close. I now have 26 little skeins of yarn that I can't wait to cast on even though I feel I should probably get back to my jumper from last year... One little skein won't hurt, though, I'm sure, and besides: I haven't knitted a single stitch this Christmas. I am looking forward to seeing how they all knit up. It is hard to tell because they are multicoloured and I don't think I have used Opal yarn before. 

Once the calendar was empty, I couldn't help but take it apart to see how it was constructed. The yarn was held by 4 cardboard shelves with little cubicles arranged around a hollow centre. The printed sides all slotted together and I noticed that the calendar was made in the German town my grandmother is from. What a nice surprise!

Opal 4-ply sock yarn

I am already looking forward to whatever calendar I choose next year. Maybe it will be a woolly one again because it was a lot of fun and the contents are useful for some of my projects. Or maybe I will go for something entirely different, who knows? Luckily, there is lots of time to decide.

Enjoy your last days of the year!

2 comments:

  1. Aaah, those skeins have such lovely colours! Do you know what you'll be making with all the skeins? I think I'll finally be getting a yarny advent calendar as well next year, I just like the idea so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just started knitting some more hexipuffs, using these skeins. That should keep me going for a while! Given how many colours there are, it won't get boring, I hope.

      I can't wait to see what kind of calendars will be out next year! If you get a woolly one, I hope you blog about it so I can be jealous.

      Delete