Sunday, 27 November 2016

Knitted Advent Wreaths

Knitted Advent wreaths

Happy first Advent!

Advent wreaths don't seem to be well known in the UK, but they are essential in Germany. I haven't had one since I moved to England 7 years ago and I miss the tradition every year. So this time I decided to get all the components and make one myself. It is a traditional ring of fir branches, decorated with pine cones, berries and little baubles. There are four candles on it for each of the four Sundays before Christmas. I love it!

Handmade German Advent wreath

As knitters, you have probably heard of knitted wreaths so I thought I'd show you my favourite four. Enjoy!




Do you have an Advent wreath as well? Or do you make Christmas wreaths, knitted or otherwise?

2 comments:

  1. Advent wreaths are also unknown in France - and it is also very hard to find pine / fir / spruce branches. But over the last six years, I have always managed to find some to make an advent wreath (the one year, I brought back spruce branches from Brussels, this year, they are from Germany), because advent without an advent wreath - not possible!

    I also took mine to my daughter's school one year, to "educate" the French kids about German holiday traditions ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cornelia! My French colleague didn't know about these wreaths either. It surprised me because I thought it was quite common, especially since France is so close to Germany.

      I really like that you have kept up the tradition and are sharing it with others.

      Delete