Tuesday, 16 August 2016

Passing the Time


So what do you do while waiting for beads for your current WIP? Read a bit of Yann Martel's latest novel and dig out very old WIPs, of course.

It's embarrassing to say how long I have been working on the Beekeeper's Quilt, really. I have made a large number of hexipuffs, but not enough for the full quilt, mainly because I have run out of all my leftover sock yarn. Luckily, I found the last bits of yarn from Handdyed by Kate that make up incredibly soft hexipuffs thanks to the cashmere in them.


I have also knitted parts of a small bag Mark's mum is making for me. The pattern is a bit confusing and we both had problems with it, but completely different ones. So I tried to figure out what was going on and I hope any issues can be resolved because I couldn't actually find anything wrong with the section Mark's mum found dificult. 

Another WIP I picked up in the meantime is a shorter version of Viajante made from some of my earliest handspun yarn. It was a big skein of unknown yardage, so I just knitted on until I ran out of yarn. It is long enough to cover the shoulders so it could be great in winter instead of a scarf. As this shawl still needs blocking, I can't show you any photos yet.

Keep your fingers crossed for the arrival of my beads so I can continue with the wedding shawl. I miss knitting it.


4 comments:

  1. I wonder how many people have finished a Beekeeper's Quilt - it's definitely a long-term project! How's the book? I've only read Life of Pi of his. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becca! What if the quilt is only ever a WIP for anyone who starts it? That is funny and terrifying at the same time.

      I'm not very far into the book yet, so can't tell if I like it or not. However, I have liked all of Yann Martel's books so far, so I am optimistic. I noticed that the dialogue, while in
      English, of course, seems to follow a Portuguese pattern. I had to get used to that first, but it makes it more authentic.

      Delete
  2. Oh the beekeeper's quilt conundrum is very familiar to me, I should really get going with this again. How are you liking the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made any progress with the book so far and need to pick it up again soon. So I can't tell how I like the book. I liked all his other novels and expect it will be the same here. I went to a reading of his where I bought the book and know what to expect as far as the underlying themes of the book go. I look forward to finding out how they have been added to the book.

      Delete