Sunday, 12 June 2016

Knitting Inspiration: Wedding Shawl Edition

All images taken from the sources below and owned by the respective designers

Big changes are on the horizon at Absoknittinglutely headquarters and I must apologize for my absence in the last few weeks. I teased you with a new sock design and then never returned to report my progress. That's because there hasn't been much, but there is also another reason: I am getting married!

Mind, the wedding is still quite a while off, but Mark proposed to me just a week ago in Torquay and I have been too busy oragnising things and being on cloud 9 to actually knit or post anything. It did, however, give me the idea for this week's topic, as you can tell.

While I have had to disappoint people by declining to knit my own wedding dress, I would like to knit a wedding shawl. Here are four favourites from my Ravelry queue. What are yours?


1. This Shipwreck Shawl is currently my favourite and I suspect this is what I will be wearing on my wedding day. I know what yarn I want to use and I will definitely add beading - just because I like to make things even more complicated than they need to be, of course. (And because beads are awesome and give a nice bit of weight and drape to lacy shawls.) The pattern is free, so that's a bonus and won't impact the wedding budget. At first I wanted to knit the Cap Shawl, but it is only available in a book.

2. We continue the sea theme with Oceanspray, which has been in my favourites for a very long time. Since Mark proposed to me at the seaside, the shawl has got to have some connection to it. The triangular shape is a classic as is the leafy border. Luckily, this is also a free pattern.

3. Vernal Equinox Shawl Surprise appeals to me because of its semicircular shape. I can see this being worn as a veil, actually. The many different stitch patterns make for an interesting mix, so if you are looking for something that isn't too plain, this could be a good choice. Once again, this pattern is free.

4. Finally, Laminaria is a free pattern that has been in my favourites on Ravelry for a long time. It comes in two sizes and looks stunning once finished. I have seen it in person and really have no excuse not to have knitted it for myself yet. The floral stitch patterns are beautiful and you can't go wrong with this one on your wedding day. 


Which would you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment