Monday, 29 February 2016

The Sleeve of Doom


It's serious. A matter of life and death even. Because I really don't want to freeze to death in Edinburgh.

All went according to schedule until last night when I bound off the first sleeve, only to realise that that sleeve is too long as well as far too wide. There isn't enough time for me to do it all over again, so I have had to resign myself to not being able to wear my Pixelated Pullover to the Edinburgh Yarn Fest.

Just a few days ago I started this post and was quite certain I would manage it all:

As long as I don't restrict my knitting to the weekends like I usually have to, I should be able to do this. I'm optimistic, but at the same time the realist in me knows very well that something might throw a spanner in the works at the last minute. I definitely don't have the time to reknit the hip increases (because those hips are now at my thighs... this much yarn is heavy), but I can finish the sleeves. 

Something definitely threw a spanner in the works now!

Of course I made changes to the sleeves according to my measurements - I added 10 extra stitches that I needed to decrease along the way. It sounded simple enough, but I was concerned about the placement of my decreases. That part worked out fine, actually. I don't even know why my sleeve is so long! I measured my arm properly, but I suspect the yoke is deeper than expected. I will have to make my increases more frequently starting just above the elbow next time and I would prefer a longer ribbing, too. Ultimately, I think that I needn't even have added those 10 extra stitches to fit my upper arms. Ah well. Live and learn. Knit and reknit.

What are your knitting worries at the moment? Tell me I am not alone!

4 comments:

  1. Which day are you at the Yarn Fest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be Saturday.

      Delete
    2. I will be there too .
      I can,t finish my actual project but just blocked my Vanessa yves shawl to wear on the Festival.

      Delete
    3. Perfect! It's a great place to show off your knits.

      Delete