Wednesday, 16 December 2015

If I were yarn


If I were yarn, I would be made of wool. Nothing less than 100% of woolly goodness would do, although there may be a hint of silk in me. I am warm and cuddly to keep you comfortable and cosy. I am a balanced yarn, though I can be tightly plied as well. I'm dependable and unexpectedly durable considering my type of wool, useful for most things. Caring for me is a bit of work as I require being washed by hand only.

I would like to be a rare, special fibre like silk or camel, but I know I am simply a good quality wool instead, most likely Merino or Falkland, and there is nothing wrong with that. Many might underestimate my qualities at first glance, but those in the know will appreciate and recognise them.

Of course, I come in strong jewel tones, intense colours that work well on their own or in combination with each other. While I am a fingering/4-ply weight yarn, smooth and perhaps with a light sheen in the right light, I am very versatile and I make wonderful lacy shawls as well as pretty, warm socks, gloves and hats.

Sadly, I'm not a superwash yarn and you have to be careful with me. Make a mistake, and I'll be unforgiving. You can do your best to salvage me, but I will never be the same again. Yet, with the right care I will be just as good as when you first found me. 

And now it is your turn: What kind of yarn would you be and why?


4 comments:

  1. Love this post! Based on your notes, I am a reliable Merino as well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Merino is always a good choice if you like soft and squishy things. And I do! And I am also soft and squishy, hah!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for asking Nadia! http://blog.handspinner.co.uk/2015/12/if-i-were-yarn.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila. I enjoyed reading your post, too.

      Delete