Monday, 16 November 2015

Waiting to Cast On: My first Jumper

Now, I don't know about you, but jumpers (or sweaters for you are the most daunting thing for me when it comes to knitting. On the whole they are no different from other knits: you have a pattern and you go ahead and knit it. Yet there is so much customisation involved in knitting a jumper that is meant to fit me that I haven't dared to try it yet.

Now this is going to change. I jumped in at the deep end an bought a sackful of yarn. Literally. I went for Cascade 220 Superwash in ruby red and charcoal. I had to guess how much I'd need, but I feel quite confident that 15 balls in total should be enough even for my size. I may be wrong, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

I have narrowed down my pattern search to two possibilities: I will either design my own jumper based on the formula in the Big Girl Knits books I have or, ideally, I'll give the Pixelated Pullover by Jennifer Beaumont a go.

Source: Pixelated Pullover

A fellow knitter at #knittinghour on Twitter posted a link to this jumper and I love it. I spent a lot of time going through everyone's projects there to see which colour combinations people have chosen. My favourite is the one in dark blue, grey and yellow - so unusual and striking. 

So Pixelated is my first choice now, I have finished my swatch and that's quite an achievement considering I hate doing that and usually just wing it, but this jumper is supposed to fit, so I better do things properly. Mind, it may take ages to finish this jumper and I am not sure I will finish it by the end of the year. 

Right now I am taking a Craftsy class, Curvy Knits by Marly Bird, to learn how to make changes to patterns so that the finished jumper will fit well in the right places. Once I have finished this class I will finally be able to cast on. I have to say I am very tempted to cast on already and at least start with the neckline - not a lot of alterations needed there. We'll see how long I can resist.

Do you remember knitting your first jumper? How did it go? Let me know your top tips!

6 comments:

  1. Oooh this is so exciting! That pixellated pullover has been on my radar for a while now and I would love to knit it one day. I'll keep my fingers crossed you have better luck than me with getting the sizing right the first time round, as I just ripped out a cardigan that was nearly halfway done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave in and bought the pattern - it is well written so I recommend giving it a go. I'm sorry you had to rip out your cardigan after all now. But now you will surely get the right fit as you continue!

      Delete
  2. I'm a jumper virgin and fellow swatch hater! I've only ever successfully knitted/crocheted baby garments before, though I am now halfway through an adult-size crochet top. No tips to offer I'm afraid, but will be following along and cheering! I'm mega impressed with how well you're preparing for this knit, plus the design is gorgeous! And Cascade 220 is really lovely to work with. Should be a good 'un! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wanting to try Cascade 220 for so long and was glad to find it in the UK. Just had to buy it! It feels great to knit with (I just cast on) and I can't wait to see how it will look when the jumper is done.

      Good luck with your crochet top!

      Delete
  3. That design is amazing! I may wait til I see yours until I attempt my own though... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope you won't have to wait too long to see what mine turns out like!

      Delete