Thursday, 26 November 2015

My First Jumper: Neckline and Shoulders

Things are taking shape

It's happening! My first jumper is taking shape and I am loving it. I am very much aware of how long it will take me to finish this project. Finishing a round is taking a while - and I am still increasing every other round by 4 stitches, so this will take longer and longer as I progress.

As you can see, I have started adding red to the grey and it was very fiddly at the start. I hope the tension is okay. My stranded knitting can be rather disappointing when working on small projects, so goodness knows what this jumper will be like in the end. At the time of writing, I am actually nearly done with this pattern section and am just about to knit only in red. It's exciting!

Proof that I do use my own stitch markers

I am using my new ChiaoGoo interchangeable needles for this project and I think I will have to buy another cable and a connector soon because the jumper is getting wider. I won't be able to try it on unless I have a longer cable. Using these needles is a lot of fun and I haven't had any problems with them at all.

The yarn is beautiful to work with, too. Cascade 220 Superwash is definitely on my list for future jumpers, should this one turn out okay. It is very soft and feels wonderful while knitting. The fabric you get is beautiful, too, and I can just imagine wearing this jumper next to the skin and loving it. I am glad I gave this yarn a go at last, it is definitely worth trying to get your hands on it if you can. Let's hope the fabric will remain as good as it is now once it has been washed.

Seen from the wrong side


6 comments:

  1. There might possibly be a problem with your floats being a bit tight, especially around the shoulders. It may be the photo but I would try filling out that section on a knee to see if it's going to cause puckering or not. You may get away with it because Superwash yarn does grow when washed, but I would check to see before going any further. A tip I heard/read when I started doing fair isle is if you are working in the round, turn the item inside out so the WS is facing outwards. You still knit from the RS but because the WS is outside the garment the floats that run along the outside have to travel further and therefore are less likely to be too tight. Let me know if that makes no sense and I'll send you a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great tip, Chrissy. Thank you! I have now finished that stranded section so it is a little late, but there will be more, of course, so I shall try the inside-out knitting trick then.

      Delete
  2. This is looking amazing!!! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Also, the wrong side looks so neat! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becca. I just had to fix my titch count today... But all in all it is going well and I am enjoying it. I can see a lot of jumpers in my future!

      Delete
  3. Yay for your first jumper! Looking awesome so far and I love the combination of grey and red!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cascade 220 Superwash is excellent wool! It's looking good though - can't wait to see when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete