Friday, 6 November 2015

Finlay the Fox: Armless and Stubby Tailed


Poor little Finlay. He did not turn out the way he was meant to. If you read my last post, you will remember that I mentioned being rather unlucky with knitting kits. Finlay was the first kit I got as part of Knit Now magazine and it didn't go well at all.


As you can see, Finlay has no arms, unfortunately. He does have a tail, but it is a little stumpy compared to what the pattern called for, but I ran out of orange yarn so quickly that I had to stop before his tail was at its full size. These are my projects note from Ravelry at the time:
Rubbish kit from Knit Now. It does not contain eyes or yarn for the features, but only the two main colours of the body. Also, there isn’t enough of the orange yarn and my fox has therefore got no arms and less orange in the tail. Very disappointed. Contacted the magazine to see what they say. Yarn could have been saved by knitting in the round instead of flat. The ears should be pointier. I used some dark blue scrap yarn for the face.
Obviously, I was not a happy bunny! I was contacted by the editor of Knit Now who happened to see my Finlay on Ravelry and she said she would send me more yarn. That never happened, so I completely forgot to blog about this project at the time. It's been exactly a year since I finished him so it is high time he made an appearance, don't you think?


Despite his armlessness and stubby tail, Finlay is fun anyway and he is perfectly at home with all my other knitted creatures. 

Have you ever had problems with a kit? What did you do?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I've still got my kit for this pattern. I thought I would get around to it one day, but never have. Do you want me to send it to you so you can finish it off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be wonderful, Chrissy! I will send you a message.

      Delete