Thursday, 22 October 2015

ChiaoGoo Interchangeable Knitting Needles

There are a few knitting needle brands that I have yet to try and I suppose for most knitters the search for the perfect needles never ends. My last purchase was a pair of fixed circulars from HiyaHiya which I am very happy with and, buoyed by that experience, I decided to make my next purchase a ChiaoGoo one.

I think you will agree that you can never have enough knitting needles. I have realised that even though I have most sizes, I could use more of the same in case I want to knit more things at the same time that do require the same size needles. So now I am gradually expanding my collection and the needles I want to show you today are ChiaoGoo Twist interchangeables. (As you can see above, I also bought their Red Lace fixed circulars, but I won't be writing a separate post about them since most of what I have to say about the interchangeables goes for the fixed circs, too.)

These needles look very slick and sturdy and I like that the cable is a flexible nylon-covered wire cable. I was unconvinced at first, but after trying them I realised the wire makes the cables sturdier and they are less likely to kink. Like Knit Pro interchangeables, ChiaoGoo interchangeables have tips that are screwed into the ends of the cables. You get a T-pin, the kind we use for blocking, to fasten them if necessary. ChiaoGoo sell the fact that the holes in the ends of the cables are meant to be used for lifelines. Mind you, Knit Pro has these holes, too, but they are primarily mentioned in connection with fastening the needle tips. ChiaoGoo cleverly recognised the use for lifelines, though I think the fact that it is sold to us as something new and unique is a bit silly.

As an aside, lifelines are really useful: they mark rows so that if you make a mistake on a later row, you can simply rip back to that point if needed, without losing your stitches along the way. You can use another bit of yarn for this or dental floss or any other kind of string. Check out this tutorial for details:



Right after I bought these needles, I cast on my Blubberblasen hat and try them out. ChiaoGoo needles knit really very well and I am absolutely happy with them. I can't decide whether I prefer HiyaHiya or ChiaoGoo, to be honest. I prefer the slick tips of HiyaHiya, but ChiaGoo cables are better. That said, I have no complaints about the ChiaoGoo tips so far, so all is well. In fact,  I am sure I will buy some more in the future.


The needle tips are pointy, though not quite as pointy as Knit Pro Nova. But again, I do not have any complaints and knitting with ChiaoGoo Twist has been great so far. They are a very good addition to my collection and I definitely recommend them. If you can get your hands on them, give them a go! I have only heard good things about them and, based on my experience with them, agree that they are fantastic to knit with.


Have you got ChiaoGoo needles yourself? Let me know how you like them.

4 comments:

  1. I had never considered that you can use the little holes in interchangeables as a life time, what a clever tip. I'm surprisingly non-picky when it comes to knitting needles, but I agree that you can never ever have enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried using the holes yet, but it is definitely on my to-do-list now. It should work really well and save time, too.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review. I recently bought ChiaoGoo fixed bamboo tip circulars (2 sizes) and love them - both for the tips and the wire cables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike! I hadn't even considered bamboo needles, but sounds like they are worth a try. Thanks for mentioning them.

      Delete