Sunday, 18 October 2015

Blubberblasen: A Hat With(out) a Pattern

This has probably been the longest knitting I have ever done for just one hat. Honestly. Whereas it normally takes me just 2-3 days to knit one, my Blubberblasen hat took pretty much a whole month to finish. 

In fact, the whole enterprise was fraught with difficulties right from the start. The pattern is available as a PDF that I wasn't able to download. So I looked up the bubble stitch pattern elsewhere and improvised, thinking that I would check the pattern again later when decreasing for the crown.

The bubble stitch slows you down quite a bit because you have to drop stitches and pick them up again at regular intervals. That's also why I didn't knit every day and only made a few rows' progress when I did sit down to work on my hat.

When I was ready to start decreasing stitches, I tried downloading the pattern again, but no luck. This wasn't going to be easy: How do you do decreases without ruining the stitch pattern? All I could do was have a close look at other people's hats to see what they had done and I just gave it a go. I am very happy with my decreases now. They look neat and haven't broken up the stitch pattern too much.
It could have been worse! I like my new hat even though it is not as wide in the body as I would like. The pattern looks good and the hat is warm enough for our chilly autumn days right now.

Material:
Wollmeise "Pure" 100% Merino Superwash
2 mm circular needles

Pattern:
Blubberblasen by Andrea Ludwig

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you improvised the pattern, it looks perfect! I cannot get over the name of the pattern though, Blubberblasen somehow sounds incredibly funny to me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blubberblasen is funny, you're right! I have to look at it from a non-native speaker's point of view. It simply is another word for bubbles in German, though we usually just say "Blasen".

      Delete