Saturday, 10 October 2015

A First For Me


Even if you have been knitting for a while, there are still a lot of firsts awaiting you on your woolly journey. Maybe it's your first lace project or your first jumper. Maybe it is the first time you tackle Fair Isle or your very first own design.

Last month I tackled a first and hosted a sock knitting KAL (knitalong) over on Twitter, as you will have read here. I really enjoyed it and our little group did manage to knit at least one complete sock by the end of the four weeks it took to send out the pattern in instalments. The participants have told me they enjoyed their KAL and especially those who were afraid of sock knitting were very glad to have taken the plunge. I look forward to seeing them knit more socks now that they have realised that they are not as difficult as they seem. I was happy to hear that the KAL introduced some new techniques, too. You can see some of the finished socks above.

This KAL was a pleasant experience for me as well, which surprised me. I expected many more frantic questions, but the knitters seemed to have little trouble with my pattern. Writing one that is clear enough for beginning sock knitters was a challenge because it is hard to tell what a newbie may be unfamiliar with. It is good to see that I appear to have got it right with my pattern.

As soon as the KAL finished, knitters were eager for a new one already. Everyone seems to be keen to do a shawl KAL next so after a break I will give it some thought and find out what exactly people are expecting from such a knitalong. If you want to stay up-to-date on any KAL news or just talk to fellow-knitters, stop by #knittinghour on Thursdays from 7:30 - 8:30 PM (UK time). We chat about all things knitting and lots of other things, too. Brownie points for anyone who brings virtual cake or cocktails! Mine's a Caipirinha, by the way.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on hosting a succesful sock KAL! :) And very much worth the effort if you converted so many people to being sock knitters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the success of the KAL sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete