Sunday, 6 September 2015

Keeping Your Circular Knitting Needles Safe


Recently, I came across these pretty needle keepers from Fiber to Fabric Magic in the US and I knew I had to have one! If you use wooden circs once in a while, these tubes really come in handy. I am always worried I will break the needles when I have packed away my project, but now I don't have to worry about it anymore. Now I can take my knitting with me everywhere without the risk of breaking needles.

All you have to do is push your needles through the slit in the silicone cap of the tube. This will hold them safely and you will neither break your needles nor lose your stitches. Push the needles all the way in until only the cable shows. Easy peasy!

I especially love the range of colours and the fact that the tubes are made of metal (aluminium, I think). There is another lady in the US who makes similar tubes from plastic. I would say neither of the two is absolutely perfect and I would prefer a combination of both: metal tube with caps at both ends. Or a metal tube that is closed at the lower end. As it is, my needle keeper is open at the bottom.

On inspection, these tubes are really simple and not particularly sophisticated. I am sure they can be produced to look a bit more polished overall. However, since no one else has come up with something similar, especially in the UK as far as I know, these two types - metal and plastic tubes - are the only ones we have access to at the moment. Also, I am always worried that my wooden KnitPro needle tips will break off the metal base when I pull them out of the tube. I wonder if that has happened to anyway yet.

But no matter! I would really like more of them and may well buy them. As the seller is in the US this means buying them one by one, which is still cheaper than buying more in one go and getting slapped with import duties and handling fees. (If you did not know, anything you order from a non-EU country that totals over £15 incl. postage will/should be taxed. The additional £8 - £9 handling fee from Royal Mail is usually the most painful part of it if you've only bought something small.)

Have you tried these tubes, too? What's your impression?

3 comments:

  1. I've been really happy with my plastic ones, plus they are cheap enough to buy three before hitting the threshold, so it sounds like they are much cheaper than the metal ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not much in it between the two. Their prices are very similar, but since postage pushed the price just over £15 I didn't want to chance buying two at once.

      Your ones were the first I ever saw, by the way! That made me look for more of them. :)

      Delete
  2. I don't think it would be too hard to make something similar yourself with basic plumbing supplies. Might not look as good but would do the job.

    ReplyDelete