Saturday, 12 September 2015

I Made a Boob

More images on Instagram

I did! And I do not get to keep it, sadly. This is going to be a Secret Santa gift for someone at work - I know... it is far too early, but I love Christmas, especially all the preparation and gift hunting. I knew this would be a great gift for someone at the office because our jobs are quite adult in nature. Can't wait for December! 


Knitting the boob was interesting because unlike all other patterns I came across, this one said to knit the project sideways. I chose it because the decreased looked better and gave the breast a more rounded shape. I'm very happy with it.


Once you finish knitting the body of the breast, for lack of a better word, and joing the ends with my favourite Kitchener stitch for a seamless join, you end up with a hole in the top where the nipple will be added and at the bottom, too. This hole is closed by picking up stitches and decreasing in the round. I like that look and it is better than I expected.


The nipple is a bit oddly shaped due to having to sew it onto the edges of the top hole. It looked great when I knit it, though. It would probably be better to close that hole like the one at the bottom and then sew on the nipple. Good thing to remember for next time! I really want one of my own now.



4 comments:

  1. Well nipples come in all shapes and sizes don't they, so I think it looks great :D What an original idea for a secret santa gift, I'm sure it'll get a lot of attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Some people at work have already seen a photo of it and loved it. They don't know it is for Secret Santa, but if they get it, I know they will be happy with it.

      Delete
  2. I knitted a boob a couple of years ago for my cousin's friend, who works on a maternity ward. It was one of the most satisfying things I have ever made! I was sad to see it go too, and I meant to knit another one for myself, but still haven't got round to it! How interesting that you knit your sideways, mine was worked flat, and and it had a flat back I seem to remember, I will have to look it up again! I fancy a rainbow boob myself :) jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A rainbow would be cool! I have never seen one like it!

      Delete