Saturday, 22 August 2015

A #knittinghour Sock KAL

 In my last post I hinted at some news for knitters who haven't tried knitting socks before. Now I can reveal:

There will be a sock KAL in September as part of our weekly #knittinghour chat on Twitter!
(Exact dates to be announced.)

#knittinghour takes place every Thursday evening from 7:30 till 8:30 and it is a great way to interact with other knitters, show off your projects and ask for help. Everyone is welcome to join in. We try to keep the chat free of promos as it is not an hour for businesses, but for private individuals to relax.

Recently chatters suggested we have a simple sock knitting KAL that is easy enough for beginners, so I will be writing up the easiest pattern I can come up with and we can all help each other during the chats and discuss how we are getting along.

The KAL will run for 4 weeks beginning 3 September in which you will do the following:

Knit one top-down sock

Week 1 - knit the ribbed cuff and the leg
Week 2 - tackle the heel (heel flap, turning the heel, knitting the gusset)
Week 3 - knit the foot
Week 4 - knit the toe and graft to close

Stitches you will need to know (don't worry, there will be help):

knit
purl
increase
decrease
wrap and turn
Kitchener stitch

After these four weeks you should be confident enough to tackle the second one on your own, but you can always ask for help even after the KAL has ended. Of course, if you are quick and can't wait, you can also knit both socks during the KAL. Whatever floats your boat!

I hope some of you who haven't been to #knittinghour yet will find their way there. See you soon!



2 comments:

  1. Would I be able to do some using chunky yarn? I love squishy socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear not, though I like the idea! My pattern will be for sock yarn/4-ply. If you have a pattern for your yarn, though, you can of course join in anyway. As long as you are making socks, you're good!

      Delete