Thursday, 23 July 2015

HiyaHiya Or: My Quest For the Perfect Fixed Circular Needles


As you will have read in my last blog post, I did not have much luck with my search for the right fixed circulars for sock knitting. While I love Addi's flexible cable, everything else was simply wrong and knitting with the circulars was more like hard work than fun. So when it came to buying some 2.25 mm circs shortly after, I was wary. I couldn't find my favourite brand in that size so I decided to look for HiyaHiya of whom I had only heard good things. Mind you, that hadn't helped me with my Addi purchase, but I was going to risk it anyway.

I am glad I did: I love my HiyaHiya! The cable is flexible, though Addi's is slightly softer, and the needles themselves are nice and slick. I'm enjoying knitting with these and couldn't resist casting on a pair of socks even though I have no idea what design I want yet. I also like that these cables are blue, which makes a nice change from transparent or KnitPro purple.


The join between cable and needles is perfect and stitches glide across it very easily. No snagging, no resistance and no problems. The needles are sharp and therefore great for socks and lace. I will be knitting some delicate cables, I think, and am sure the needles will master them very well.

I thoroughly recommend these needles, so if you want to give a different brand a try, you'll be fine with HiyaHiya. I hope to buy some more of their needles to expand my collection in the future.


Have you got any HiyaHiya needles? What's your opinion on them? Are there any other brands you think I should try next?

4 comments:

  1. I'm knitting a cardigan out of the Life in the Long Grass Splash colourway (the silk/merino blend)! It's beautiful yarn isn't it?! My favourite sock needs are my Dyakcraft Heavy Metals. The join is really good on them and they swivel which I find really helpful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn is indeed stunning! I love it.

      I'm also keen on trying needles that swivel, so thanks for the tip! I hadn't heard of the needles before and will definitely look them up.

      Delete
  2. I've never tried HiyaHiya but heard a lot of good things about them. When I had just started knitting I bought some pretty cheap fixed circs, and that certainly was a nightmare. The join was so bumpy and my stitches got stuck all the time. I now have a couple that work just fine, interchangeables from Knitpro and I think some fixed ones from Addi and Lana Grossa that I am quite content with (especially the Lana Grossa needles are pretty smooth).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you I bought some cheap circs at the beginning and that was such a bad idea. The joins were fine, but somehow there was a really weird coating on the needles and I couldn't stand the feeling. The yarn didn't slide along as easily either, so they have finally gone in the bin this year. It's interesting how different needles can be!

      Delete