Sunday, 7 June 2015

Sweet Georgia Superwash DK and My Fight Against My Inner Gollum


There are many different kinds of yarn, but the best must be the kind that feels like a velvety soft cloud of lusciousness. Cosy and comforting like Hobbiton, warm and welcoming like Rivendell, sometimes ethereal like Lothlorien.

Such yarns are few and far between, so it surprised me that the three hanks of Sweet Georgia Superwash DK I a worked with to knit a sample shawl for A Yarn Story have exactly that feel: the merino wool is smooshy and warm and I didn’t really want to stop knitting with it. I also didn’t really want to let this shawl go now that I have experienced its softness. I can feel my inner Gollum whispering to me: It’s mine. My preciousssss. But, alas, all things must come to an end.

I have never used a merino superwash that is this luscious. The stitch definition is so clear that you can see all the intricate stitch patterns of the shawl and I am longing to knit a whole jumper with this yarn. Now, to understand the significance of this, you have to know that I am not at all a knitter of garments. Shawls, yes. Cowls, snoods and hats, yes. Socks, most definitely. Jumpers? Not so much. Jumpers are a bit like Isengard to me: they may look nice and enticing and safe at first, but ultimately they may very well turn out to be disastrously duplicitous and in league with Mordor. When I think of jumpers, I am convinced I will end up frogging them, starting over, running into more difficulties, and finally giving up. But for this yarn, I might actually risk it. I might need my own personal Sam to help me, but it might actually work.

The beauty of the yarn lies in its silky sheen and the fact that it has been hand-dyed, which results in a very lively colourway. I am using one called Mist and it subtly changes colour in places where the dye has settled differently. This is not a solid yarn, but an ever so slightly tonal one, which I love. It keeps things interesting.

This yarn is worth every penny for a knit you know you will wear over and over. Use it for something you know you will love. To paraphrase Gandalf, all we have to decide is what to knit with the time that is given us. Don’t waste it, and your own inner Gollum will be happy.

3 comments:

  1. I love how you have written this- combining two fab subjects, knitting and LOTR, it's brilliant!
    I'm afraid I'm guilty of keeping yarns that are "too precious" to do anything with. I just like to gently stroke them (sometimes against my cheek even) and then put them away again but they are not fulfilling their destiny, I must make amends.
    I agree with you when it comes to garments- I hate finishing an item that has taken an age (and usually involved some unpicking) and then it's not as nice as you were expecting. You rarely get that with hats and scarves, even then they will have taken a fraction of the time if that does turn out to be the case.
    Thanks for a great post, the shawl looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I'm hlad the post is not too geeky for you. ;)

      I also have some precious yarns that have been in my stash for years because they are so special that I am waiting for just the right project to come along. I may have to wait forever!

      Delete