Sunday, 28 June 2015

Spinning: Plum Pudding Falkland Roving from Mandacrafts


Amanda Hannaford from Mandacrafts was the first indie dyer whose fibre I fell in love with during a visit to Fibre Fest, my first ever wool show. Even today I am still amazed by the richness of her colourways and I like to keep an eye on her shop in case something interesting pops up. I recommend seeking her out at wool shows especially because she has far more variety on offer there than in her online shop. If you can't make it, though, it is worth looking at the store after a show when she adds items that she had to take back home again.

It's been nearly a year now since I spun anything on my wheel at all, but recently I felt like having a go at it again. I gave my wheel a proper dusting and oiled it before I dug out a bag of Mandacrafts fibre. I chose the 28 micron Falkland tops that I used in the past and really enjoyed spinning. It is easy to draft and great for woollen spinning. I love this colourway especially: Plum Pudding. As soon as I saw it online, I just had to buy it before it sold out. 



There are alternating sections of deep red, purple and orange that will look great spun up into any weight. I am trying to spin the yarn as thinly as I can on my wheel (which isn't as fine as I would like it to be), so depending on how I decide to ply it, it will either be lace weight or 4-ply/fingering. At the moment I have no plans for this yarn so I am just enjoying spinning it.

I was surprised to find that I had to get back into the groove again once I sat at the wheel. I felt a bit rusty and it took a moment before I got the hang of it again. By now things are going along smoothly as they used to and I am getting a little bit of spinning in while watching TV. There is no rush and I am patiently waiting to see what this yarn will look like in the end. I always find it very hard to predict.

Are you spinning anything at the moment? Who do you like to buy your fibre from?

No comments:

Post a Comment