Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Irresistible Sock Yarn: Hedgehog Fibres and Life In the Long Grass


Stunning is all I can say. When I saw these two hanks of sock yarn at A Yarn Story I turned into a different person. Gone was the indecisive me who always takes forever to choose what to buy, overwhelmed by choice. For some reason, as soon as I saw these yarns I knew I had to have them and not let them go. I had hoped to find speckled sock yarn like this for a long time, but the only dyers I had seen making them were in the US and I didn't want to risk the customs fee (the UK has a very low threshold of just £15, which includes postage, for imported goods - very annoying).


So let me tell you what I bought: the first yarn that really jumped out at me was Hedgehog Fibres' sock yarn in the colourway Monarch. Even though such light colours aren't usually my thing, the other colours bring out the orange and make this hank look all warm and happy. I just love it and it is still my favourite of the two.


The second sock yarn, Dappled, is from Life In the Long Grass, a Northern Irish business. Green is also not usually among my favourite colours, but yet again the added splashes of colour make for an interesting combination. It looks even richer in person. The colourway I chose is quite aptly named Splash. 

I have no idea what I will make with these two yarns. When I picked them I thought if socks, of course, but later I considered combining them in a shawl. Hm, I will have to think about that. At the moment socks are winning.

1 comment:

  1. Stunning is the right word for that indeed, incredible really how beautifully dyed that yarn is. I've been tempted in the past to buy this yarn as well, but so far managed to restrain myself. But if I ever meet this yarn in person I know I'll bring home an entire pile of it.

    ReplyDelete