Tuesday, 23 June 2015

Cabled Socks: The Daughter Heir


I came across the pattern for The Daughter Heir not too long ago. I am not entirely sure how I found it, but I suspect Ravelry must have featured it on its homepage or suggested it to me as something similar to my usual knits. When it comes to socks, I especially like intricate cabling even though it can be difficult and time consuming to have to keep looking at each line of the instructions because such patterns may not be entirely intuitive at times. 


Despite keeping a close eye on the pattern, I did mess up a few times and had to rip back more often than I would have liked. However, I really enjoyed knitting these socks, so I didn't mind too much. There were a few new things in this pattern that I hadn't tried on socks before: the heel flap is slightly different with a stocking stitch edge and the heel turn is one I hadn't come across yet. While I really like the heel flap, I am not so sure about the heel turn. I do like how it turned out and it is easy to do, but it just looks odd and a lot less organic than my usual heel turn. I probably won't be doing that again, but it was nice to try something different.


Another thing I liked about the socks is the gusset that, instead of being plain stocking stitch, is knitted with ribbing. That keeps things interesting and ties in well with the ribbing of the cuff and back of the leg. This is only the second pair I have knitted that calls for increases in the middle of the sole. I remember that they were perfectly fine when I knitted my Ayartma socks and I certainly made no mention of the increases on the blog, so it must have been fine. This time, though, the pattern called for m1 increases (picking up the yarn between two stitches), which results in holes in the fabric. While I don't mind the look, I am not certain this is a good thing when it comes to socks. I am concerned they may wear out more quickly due to this.


As I said, I had to rip back a few times and reknit things I got wrong the first time. Even after I took my final photos, I found a mistake in the toe that I had to fix! One of the two was longer for some reason. I decided to graft the ends together once I had 20 stitches left, which is sooner than the pattern calls for. Still, one mistake remains and I am not going to go back and fix it because it would mean nearly reknitting the whole sock all over again. As you can see, the back of the leg is patterned as well and has some ribbing with a medallion at the end. The first time I knit the medallion, I must have skipped a row, so it looks slightly different from the one pictured above. It is not a big difference, but it is noticeable and bothers me - but not nearly enough to knit it again! Nobody is going to see it anyway.


So, what did I use to knit these socks? The yarn is Hedgehog Fibres' sock yarn in the colourway Monarch that I bought at the reopening of A Yarn Story recently. It knits up very prettily and is a good sock yarn, though it does not have as luxurious a feel as some. It feels just like ordinary sock yarn and will do a good job. The colours are lovely as they are and I am glad there is no pooling at all. 


I used 2.5 mm circular needles and I think I would have been fine with 2.25 mm, too. The socks are just right and not too tight, but if you like a snug fit, going down in needle size is a good idea here. I thought that due to the cabling, 2.5 mm would be ideal, but I think the yarn might require a smaller size, generally.


Knitting these socks had the nice advantage of my using the Kitchener stitch again, too. I have been having trouble with it since I changed the way I knit into stitches because it results in stitches lying on the needle differently, too. The last few times I tried to graft using the Kitchener stitch, it did not end well and I couldn't seem to find the right way to do it. Thanks to The Daughter Heir, though, I have finally figured out how to do it! I love this way of grafting, so I am very happy it's working again. That said, I may forget how I did it by the time I need it again.

Now that the socks are complete, I am left with a nice amount of leftover yarn for my very long-term WIP, the Beekeeper's Quilt. It's been going for years and I am in no rush to complete it. I ran out of suitable sock yarn last year or so and hadn't knit any more hexipuffs for it. This Hedgehog Fibre yarn will do nicely and break up the darker colours I have used so far.

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful, the yarn and the pattern. Love the hexipuffs too!

    ReplyDelete