Friday, 1 May 2015

Simple Crochet Rose Garland


I don't crochet. Okay, I do sometimes, but I don't like it.

Most of the time, I just can't stand the look of crochet. There are very few exception and crochet just does not seem as versatile to me as knitting does. Knitting also looks sleek and elegant, perhaps a bit more sophisticated. Of course, as in all things, it depends on what you are making - and it is not the actual process of crocheting that I have an issue with, just the final product.

But once in a while there is a time for crochet even in my life and this is such a time. I have quite a few leftover balls of cotton and acrylic in DK weight that are perfect for quick projects such as this wonderful rose garland that I am incredibly happy with. It is part of a #craftblogclub gift swap, so I do not get to keep it, sadly. In fact, I may well have to make one of my own soon.

I found a free crochet pattern for the roses here on The Party Artisan blog. The roses are quick to make: I made the whole garland in less than a full day. Once the roses were finished (I made a total of 13), I used chain stitches to crochet the the string, making 25 stitches before joining the first rose, then adding flowers after every 15 stitches. The end consists of another 25 stitches.

I really love this and can't believe how well it came out, considering I had to look up every single stitch other than the chain stitch. (That tells you exactly how often I crochet, doesn't it?) What's your crochet like? Do you do lots of it or none at all?


6 comments:

  1. Aw it's pretty! I like how easy crochet flowers are, it trumps knitting for speed I think ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does and I hate it for it! ;) I wish I could knit as fast as that. I am now making a second garland for myself in other colours. I nearly bought some more yarn today as it is Yarn Shop Day, too. The new garland will have spring colours.

      Delete
  2. Oh I really love this, what a great idea! I think I'm going to make one in different colours to hang up in my living room! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing yours!

      Delete
  3. It's a wonderful garland, I'll be hanging it somewhere in my office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, Icy! It was a lot of fun to make and now I have one having up between my bookshelves as well.

      Delete