Thursday, 28 May 2015

A Yarn Story Re-opens


Regular readers will know that there is a new yarn shop in Bath. Having only opened in November of last year, it has quickly outgrown the space and has now re-opened closer to the city centre. Much better for shoppers all round: easy access, more stock, and a wonderful space to browse and squish all the woolly goodness.

Of course there had to be a party and I am so glad I made it. There was bubbly, food, beautiful things to buy and I met several people I knew from Twitter, but had never met in person. It was great to be able to put faces to names. Members of the local knit group also came, so it was bound to be a great afternoon and I ended up staying far longer than planned.


Of course there was far too much pretty yarn to choose from, so some piled up heaps of hanks and consulted other visitors, designers and even a sales rep of the industry as to the best choice for certain projects. Me, I was very lucky to find two stunning hanks of yarn right away. This never happens! More on that in another post later. A Yarn Story also stocks my stitch markers and row counter bracelets and I demonstrated their use to a few people, which definitely helped sales. Yay me!


In one corner at the front of the store, there was a consistent whirring sound coming from some very busy ball winding. Are there ball winding competitions? There should be. The speed demonstrated here at times was phenomenal!


The shop not only has yarn, but also spinning fibre. I even spotted some Malabrigo Nube in baskets on the floor, so it is well worth a look if you want to keep your spindles and spinning wheels busy. Carmen even has a little spinning wheel in store, though it is not a functioning one. It is a nice little touch, I think.


My favourite corner is the one seen below: that is where some stunning yarn is hiding. Carmen stocks mostly indie dyers' products and the best treasures are right there along with sets of knitting needles and other little things. I also like the arrangement of the knitted shawls and cardigan. It all just looks really cosy.


The eagle-eyed will even spot the Kir Royale shawl I knitted.


There is a lot of attention to detail in the store's decor, ranging from the display of yarn to knitting to notions and knitting-themed jewellery. The yarn display below is something I could well imagine having at home. It is easy to make and looks great. Yet another craft room idea - if I ever have such a room.


I am particularly glad that I now have easy access to wool wash and indie yarns that were hard to find before. This is a special little shop and I thoroughly recommend it. If you're ever in town, go have a look! I am sure you won't regret it.


At the end of the day, even Peaches the dog was tired.

5 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great time!!! The store is absolutely adorable. (: Knitting stores are just the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to go back again! I may have to hold on to my wallet.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic post and photos Nadia - it was lovely to finally meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Alli! Will we get to see your own photos soon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fabulous little shop and my oh my that wall of shawls is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete