Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Kir Royale: I Do Love a Nice Cocktail


So that might explain why I chose to knit the Kir Royale shawl (design by Melanie Berg) as a shop sample for A Yarn Story. Nice, isn't it?

I loved knitting this shawl and it has an interesting construction. It's knitted in one piece even though the cabling is knitted sideways while the rest is top down. The main body is knitted in a slipped garter stitch pattern that I love - it looks far more complicated a stitch than it really is. The cabling was fun to do and the ruffles look great along the edges.


The yarn is amazing to work with: it's velvety soft and luscious (watch out for my review soon on the A Yarn Story blog - I will link to it when it goes online). I would love to have a jumper in this yarn because I know it would definitely keep me warm and I would want to wear it all the time. I used Sweet Georgia's Superwash DK (merino) in the colourway Mist. I can unreservedly recommend this yarn, it's fantastic! I needed three hanks to finish the shawl.


I have only one issue with this piece that other knitters on Ravelry have also pointed out in their project notes: due to the shawl's construction, you end up with a pointy top edge that is impossible to block out. It may depend on what type of yarn you use, but like many I was unable to make the shawl look anything like a crescent despite aggressive blocking. This makes wearing it a little awkward because you end up needing to fold over the top. That makes for an interesting look, so if you don't mind it, it will look great worn this way, too. I actually like it, but of course it shortens the depth of the shawl and makes it look much smaller than it really is.

Have you knitted a Melanie Berg pattern before? I know there are a lot of fans out there. Or have you used this particular yarn before? I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

2 comments:

  1. I've never knit anything from Melanie Berg, but this shawl looks fantastic. I cannot quite wrap my mind around the construction though, but a very interesting piece! The yarn looks delicious, the colour reminds me of crocuses (not sure if this is the correct English name for the flower I mean ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crocuses is correct and you're right, the colour does resemble the flowers. Perfect for spring, I'd say!

      Delete