Saturday, 7 March 2015

Designing a Lacy Snood


I've been working on a new knitting pattern and for the first time it is going to be a snood! After going through a lot of knitting stitch libraries, I found something that appealed to me right away and looked like it wanted to be turned into a snood with my skein of Countess Ablaze's Nerds Prefer Their Rainbows Darker colourway.

After a bit of maths, drafting a pattern and a chart, and the use of several of my lace stitch markers (not to mention looking up how to do a provisional crochet cast on again), I got started. The yarn really knits up amazingly well and is a pleasure to work with. I am still undecided about the name I am going to give the snood. The stitch pattern reminds me of spring blossoms, but the yarn's colour doesn't match the idea of spring. So for now I have tentatively named it Spring into Darkness, but this may change before publication.


The yarn was just enough to finish 6 repeats of the chart. The grafting gave me headaches, honestly. Since I changed the way I knit into stitches, I have been having difficulty grafting and this was a problem here while finishing up the snood. I love the Kitchener stitch because it looks so seamless. Somehow I messed it up, though, and even after the final (fourth!) attempt, you can actually see a seam. It's not too bad and I am certainly not going to undo it again. At some point I will have to practice some grafting to figure out how to get make it work for my new  way of knitting.

I can't wait to see how the snood will look once it's been blocked and the lace has opened up properly. I also look forward to seeing how my test knitters are getting on. I really love the stitch pattern and hope you will too.


8 comments:

  1. That's really pretty! I like that stitch pattern a lot, and I'm sure I don't need to tell you what I think about the yarn 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn is fantastic! I am glad I didn't just use it for socks - it is too nice for that.

      While listening to your podcast I thought this pattern would go well with the russet yarn you had there. It would show off the lace very well, I think.

      Delete
  2. Uh pretty! I love the name too, although it is only tentative. Spring into darkness stirs all kinds of emotions in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there is something about that name. It hints at courage, adventure, and has a sense of foreboding as well. I haven't come up with a better name yet so it may well stick.

      Delete
  3. this is really lovely and pretty :) and Spring into Darkness is a splendid name! I agree with yours and Noget's comments above - it invokes everything that the colours do :) the pattern looks great! hope to see it all finished :) jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny! Thanks for commenting.

      I am leaning towards keeping the name now. I can't wait to block the snood now! As soon as I have space on the floor, I'll get to it and I hope we have enough sunshine the next few days for photos. Of course today is very grey.

      Delete
  4. That looks brilliant! Provisional cast-ons can be a real nightmare so I think you've done well to manage it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was terrified of it before I cast on! I was expecting it not to work: the only other time I tried a provisional cast on, I couldn't open the crochet bit, so that was a pointless. Luckily, it worked fine this time, though I did not enjoy picking up the stitches for grafting later on.

      Delete