Saturday, 31 January 2015

Going Cold Sheep


Ah, who am I kidding? I could never go cold sheep. The reason I am writing about going cold sheep (or cold sheeping) is that this is a term I only just learned about this year. For those of you who are as unfamiliar with it as I was until just a few weeks ago, going cold sheep means not buying any wool anymore. It's similar to going cold turkey, only in a woolly context. 

"Cold Sheeping"

For a compulsive yarn buyer, the challenge to buy NO yarn at all, rather than trying to become all reasonable about the yarn buying thing, which the knitter has probably long-since proved he or she can't do anyway. Similar to "going cold-turkey" when trying to quit smoking, but makes more sense as what does turkey have to do with smoking OR knitting, unless one smokes the actual turkey, but I think that's a different kind of smoking....... (Source: A Little Yarn on the Side)


I am not entirely sure how I feel about the term itself. On the one hand I like the clever way in which an existing phrase has been adapted to fit into the world of wool, but on the other knowing the original term relates to coming off drugs is very unpleasant. In any case, it is a phrase I am unlikely to use anyway because, to be honest, why would I want to stop buying wool? I do have enough in my stash, but that's not stopping me.

How about you? Are you going "cold sheep" for a while? Would you?

5 comments:

  1. Knowing sheep keepers, I don't think there will be a shortage of wool. ;) I actually have had someone offer me a spinning wheel, which I have no idea how to use, but I'm hoping to locally source my wool this spring. Might be cheaper, and local yarn shops might be willing to carry some if I get good enough. ^.^ I'm technically "cold sheep" right now, but I hope not to be for much longer! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, we need to save sheep owners from drowning in all that wool, so it would be unethical not to buy it off them! ;)

      Are you using spindles for now? Having a spinning wheel is great fun and I am sure you will enjoy it. That said, spindles are lovely too and it is hard to resist buying more.

      Sourcing your wool locally sounds wonderful! Good luck!

      Delete
  2. I could never go cold sheep either, why deny yourself?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! If you can afford it, go for it.

      Delete
  3. I'm just going to pretend I never heard of that term! I guess I am kind of cold sheeping at the moment, but that's partly driven by a lack of space in my yarn storage cabinet and a slight dip in knitting mojo.

    ReplyDelete