Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Multipom: A Different Kind of Pompom Maker


When you think of pompom makers, you probably imagine the round plastic ones around whose arms you wind your yarn until they are full. For a long time, these were the only ones I knew. For Christmas last year I was given a completely different type of pompom maker that I had never seen before: the Multipom. It allows you to make several pompoms in one go in any size you want. All you do is wind yarn around two sides of the metal frame and tie off sections of yarn. 

The Multipom came with a little cotton bag for storage, and a booklet with detailed instructions and ideas. it takes a little bit of practice to know how much yarn to wind round the frame and you will most likely need to trim the pompoms a little bit, but this is a quick and easy way to make a lot of them in one go. I know this pompom maker will come in handy when I knit hats for The Big Knit again this year. 

 
Have you come across any unusual pompom makers? I am curious to see if there is more out there that isn't as well known. Or have you even got a Multipom of your own? Let me know in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. Oh how clever, I was looking at the top picture for a long time trying to work out how it made so many, then I scrolled down and saw the second picture. Have you given it a go yet? I'd be very interested to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the first reaction as you when I first saw it. I have tried it and it works well, but you need to trim the pompoms a little afterwards. It takes a bit of pracice to figure out how much yarn to use as well. At first I used far too little. I'd say the Clover pompom makers are still my favourite, but I like that you can make several in one go with the Multipom.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen anything like that before. Have you tried it out yet, did you like the results? You could probably get the same results winding around a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, you can use other things instead. There is a bit of trimming involved afterwards if you want the perfect shape. So while the trimming takes up more time, it makes up for it by giving you several pompoms in one go.

      Delete
  3. I've seen photos of yarn wound 'round chair legs, tied, and cut into sections -- sort of an improvised multi-pom. That's interesting pom poms are so popular there are new gadgets to make them with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, someone must have tried to jump onto the pompom train! Must be the world pomination thing from last year.

      Delete
  4. Ah I saw this recently and was a bit 'how the hell...' so thanks for the demonstration! :)

    ReplyDelete