Friday, 23 January 2015

Countess Ablaze: Frenzy


It is only the beginning of the year and I have already ordered more yarn than in the last half of 2014! This time, I just had to do it. The first time I came across Countess Ablaze was when she had an Etsy shop which she has closed in favour of her own web shop. Back then, the yarn that caught my eye was a hank of Frenzy, a single-ply fingering yarn in wonderful colours. I could not buy it at the time and it has taken me years to finally do it. But here it is now, and I bought not only one, but two hanks so I can knit something beautiful with it. The yarn is much too pretty for socks and as it is single-ply, I suspect it may not be durable enough for them. I imagine this yarn will turn into a shawl of some kind - as if I didn't have enough already.


I do like a nice merino yarn and the fact that this one is superwash is an added bonus. I look forward to seeing how the colours show in knitting. They are very harmonious in the hanks and I just love them as they are. Before I saw Frenzy, I didn't expect to like dark yarns, especially those with a lot of grey in them, but I was wrong. It is the grey that makes the other colours stand out even more. It makes for a neutral background that shows off all other colours, and at the same time the grey itself has depth to it thanks to the way it has been spun and how it takes the dye.



It is hard to believe that the yarn consists only of merino. I keep  thinking there is silk in it because of the sheen and softness of it. Also, the grey reminds me of Fyberspates Scrumptious in the slate colourway that I used for my Stockholm scarf. I hope frenzy won't pill like crazy as singles are wont to do. I can imagine the fabric becoming even softer with wear and it should have good drape too.


This was my second purchase from Countess Ablaze and I have loved every yarn I have bought. If you haven't tried her yarn yet, I can definitely recommend it. Her colourways are not always to my taste, but there are some real gems there even for someone as picky as me. When you see something you like, it is best to grab it right then before it sells out. It's happened a few times that I wanted to buy Frenzy and it just wasn't in stock for some time, which is why I am so glad I got my hands on it now.

3 comments:

  1. I have a single skein of Frenzy and was contemplating buying another one to make a Dotted Rays Shawl out of it. That will really showcase it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should probably start these kind of posts with a warning, *beautiful yarn inside, may result in enabling yarn purchases* ;) I have also drooled all over my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry about that! Well, no, I am not. ;) Such lovely yarn just has to be shared.

      Delete