Wednesday, 24 December 2014

Yarn Stories Shade Card

Merry Christmas! I hope you are all too busy today to read my blog and are enjoying the festivities. If you do not celebrate Christmas, I wish you a good holiday season. Stay warm, everyone! Fittingly, today's post is related to this festive season, too.


Shortly before they opened, I became aware of Yarn Stories on Twitter. They offer fine merino and alpaca yarns in a range of colours and weights spun in a Yorkshire mill. They have been able to attract a number of known designers such as Amanda Crawford, Jane Crowfoot and Eline Oftedal, just to name a few.

Throughout December, Yarn Stories engaged its social media followers with an Advent calendar giveaway that I took part in as well. While I didn't win one of the coveted yarns, I did win a shade card that displays all the colours of their fine merino and baby alpaca DK.


While I find it difficult to judge the quality and feel of a yarn from a shade card, it is very useful to see the available colours. For me to want to knit with this yarn, there would need to be more colours, however. There is only one colour that I can see myself wearing if I made a garment in a single colourway. There is a fairisle jumper I want to knit one day, but one of the things that is stopping me is that there are never enough shades available in any one yarn. I have the same issue with Yarn Stories, although, when pushed, I might find substitutes among existing colours.

All in all, though, I think that Yarn Stories does have a decent variety for most things. I am just extremely picky! I am not a fan of alpaca, but the pure merino yarns would be interesting to try.

Have you used any of Yarn Stories' yarn? What is your impression?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't even heard of them, but I do like the colours (as they show up at my end, you never really know with computers, do you?!).

    ReplyDelete