Tuesday, 9 December 2014

The Knitting Swede: Hocus Pocus Self-striping Sock Yarn

This is a Halloween treat if ever there was one! I know, I know. It is nearly Christmas and I am writing about Halloween. That's because I was late and discovered this yarn only shortly before it sold out on The Knitting Swede's Etsy shop around October 31. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw the photos and I wished I had bought it sooner. Hoping there would be more to come - and completely forgetting that this was a Halloween special - I contacted Tanja, the dyer, if she was making any more of her Hocus Pocus colourway. She was so kind as to dye me a skein especially and what can I say: I love it!
The colours are even more beautiful than on Tanja's pictures and I am so happy with them that I can't wait to knit myself a pair of socks. The yarn is dyed in such a way that it will knit up as 3 rows black, 7 rows green, 3 rows black and 7 rows purple. I am thinking about designing a pattern that will have lace in the green and purple sections only, but in the end I might simply knit plain socks because I love the colours so much. As soon as I get knitting, I'll post to let you know what I've decided. (This may take some time because of my current knitting project, Viajante. It is the largest piece of knitting I have ever worked on in one go so I have no idea how long it will take to finish.)
This is my first hank of self-striping yarn. Normally, I am not a fan of it unless the colours really appeal to me, and this is one of the very rare times I love it. The yarn consists of 75% superwash BFL and 25% nylon and comes to 425m per 100g. I recommend you have a look at The Knitting Swede's collection to drool over some lovely yarn, if you haven't already.

Have you discovered any beautiful yarns lately? I'd like to know what you've fallen in love with.

1 comment:

  1. That's so kind of her to dye a skein especially for you! And another Etsy shop to add to my favourites. I can see why you wanted it so badly, it is really really pretty.

    ReplyDelete