Thursday, 4 December 2014

Secret Christmas Snood Revealed

I can finally reveal my super secret Christmas knitting project I posted about in early October. Turns out it is actually a birthday gift, but I had originally considered giving it to my mother at Christmas. However, her birthday is in early December so I changed my mind about the dates. By now she has received this lacy snood whose pattern I found on The Knitter's blog. It is not part of the Ravelry database for some reason, but you can directly get to the pattern PDF here. It's a design by Kirstie McLeod.
I love this snood! I would have kept it for myself if I hadn't started making it with a recipient in mind already. The lace consists of a repeated leaf pattern that is easily memorised after a few rows. The snood is knitted flat so you will have to do some sewing up when you're done. I made it easy on myself and crocheted the ends together, which worked very well and I like the look of the seam on the wrong side.
The yarn I used is ordinary sock yarn that I hand-dyed and it works really well for the snood. I had less yarn than the pattern called for, but it is easy to stop after any length, really, as long as it is after a pattern repeat. After blocking, the snood was just the right size, so don't worry if your ball of yarn is a bit smaller than called for.

Are you tempted?

4 comments:

  1. Very tempted indeed, that is a beautiful piece of lace knitting. And you the crochet solution for sewing it up looks so neat. Your mom must be really happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves it! She told me twice yesterday. It is definitely something different from the usual knitted socks I gave her before.

      Delete
  2. That yarn is a gorgeous colour! Its a pretty piece and I am very tempted, maybe if I find some sock yarn in the January sales. I love patterns that you can memorise after a few rows, then you can work on it in front while watching a movie and it seems like less effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely worth a go. I really enjoyed knitting this. I hope to see yours some day!

      Delete