Saturday, 8 November 2014

Hinagiku Hat in Handspun Malabrigo

When I spun up this yarn using Malabrigo Nube, I intended to turn it into a cowl, but it turns out it was better suited for the Hinagiku hat pattern I found on Ravelry. I loved the star stitch pattern that makes up the body of this hat and the long rounds of ribbing at the bottom are perfect for me. If you are looking for a slouchy hat pattern that is great for autumn, I recommend giving this one a go. It's free, too!

The colourway I used was Indiecita and the stripes are beautiful. Even though I usually prefer slightly darker shades, I do like this yarn a lot. I think a change away from my usual colour scheme is a good thing. The knitting instructions call for needles sizes 3 mm and 4.5 mm for the ribbing and the body, respectively. I went up to 5 mm for the star stitch instead  due to the weight of the yarn. 4.5 mm was just a tad too small and I found it hard to knit the star stitches, which are a little fiddly anyway. I could probably have gone up in size for the ribbing as well, but I do like it to be tight, so I am happy with it as it is.

After binding off, the hat was very snug and not at all slouchy, so I gave it a bath and blocked it. This is something I have never done before for a hat. Even though I tried not to stretch the ribbing, it is looser now, which is a shame, but the body is just right. It now shows off the stitch pattern much better and makes me wish I still had long hair to bundle up in it a slouchy hat. (At least until I remember just how practical short hair is!)

And might I just add how much I dislike taking photos of items I have to wear to photograph them? I took so many pictures and none of them came out well. I hope that I can take some photos outside with the help of a friend someday so that they show off the hat better and from all angles.

6 comments:

  1. I love this hat, thanks for sharing the pattern! And the colours are very pretty as well. It's probably good to take a step outside your usual colour palette every now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! The pattern is lovely and not too difficult once you understand the star stitch pattern.

      I am loving the colours too and have already worn the hat a few times now that it is colder out there.

      Delete
  2. ooh pretty! and great choice for the colour. Sometimes the ribbing will go back if you give it a second bath. I only give hats a bath when their ribbing has become too loose. Tightens it right up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, Pia! I wasn't sure if reblocking would make it better or worse, but it is good to know the ribbing will tighten up again. Next time I give it a wash, I will be careful not to stretch it like I did last time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just lost two stitches (128 to 126), and I only just noticed after my second 4th row (1,2,3,4,3,4). Any insight? The issue is that I end up with with two stitches, one that I could purl but what could I do with only one extra to finish the repeat of p1 k3tog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rip back to before the mistake occurred and start again, to be honest. That way the stitch pattern won't be interrupted. If you don't want to do that, you can always increase by another two stitches to get back to 128, but that is not ideal.

      Delete