Saturday, 4 October 2014

Using My Turkish Spindle

I've been using my new Turkish spindle from IST Crafts ever since I received it. It is the perfect spindle for long, slow spinning that is more for enjoyment than quick, productive spinning. I started on a braid of Australian merino, probably at least 100g, so this is going to take some time to get through and I am in no hurry.

The spindle is a pleasure to use and I love it. There is an art to winding on the yarn just so. I have learned that this ball of yarn is called a tortoise - you'll see why if you have a look at the photo. I really enjoy winding the yarn onto the arms of the spindle in just the right way. It is as if you are creating a work of art, like the spindle itself.

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I am not a drop spindle person, but I really want to get my hands on a supported spindle. I've never seen one in person and am hesitant to buy one online...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pia,

    I hope you find a place that sells drop spindles. Are there any wool fairs where you live? I bought all of mine except for two at fairs.

    It just occurred to me that I have no idea why I was okay with buying this spindle online without having seen it in person first, actually. I know a lot of people who like IST Craft spindles, so I knew the quality would be good. I have one of their supported spindles too (bought second hand on Ravelry). I did ask a friend to show me a photo of hers so I could judge the size better, so that helped. I am glad I got it.

    ReplyDelete