Sunday, 10 August 2014

Washing Your Handspun

The Tour de Fleece is over and I am left with a number of handspun yarns, including others I finished before the tour. None of them have been washed yet because I just keep putting it off. It is the part of the spinning process I like the least because it seems to be the most work. Since we live in a small space, I have to soak each skein separately in the small sink, one after the other, so I can then dry them all on a rack that we have to squeeze past whenever it's up. I avoid washing wool especially in the colder months since the yarn needs three whole days to dry then, so I should finally get to it and take the plunge while it is summer.

I've made the washing process a little bit more pleasant by getting a bottle of wool wash that smells lovely and does not have to be rinsed out. It makes a big difference to my wool and to knitted garments. It also speeds up the process, which is great! Here is a great article about finishing your handspun from Knitty.com.

How do you feel about washing your knitting and wool? Do you enjoy it or is it a chore? Share any tips in the comments - I look forward to reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment