Sunday, 6 July 2014

Tour de Fleece 2014

Even though I have been spinning for a few years now, I never actually took part in the Tour de Fleece. If you are a member of Ravelry, you will have come across it, I'm sure. So, what is it about?

In short, the Tour de Fleece is a spinning event that takes place alongside the Tour de France. We have the same rest days, challenges, and we spin throughout the time of the race. It is a good time to challenge yourself to learn a new technique, make a significant dent in you stash or simply to spend more time spinning.

This is the first Tour de Fleece I am taking part in and since there are lots of rules that baffle me, I have joined Team Must Stash whose only goal is to have an enjoyable experience. There are no set rules, but there will be a few prizes, I gather. The Must Stash group was founded by two podcasters in the US who I only discovered last month. If you need some distraction for an hour, have a look at their podcasts.

Even though I really have enough spinning fibre in my stash, I couldn't resist these Shetland-and-silk beauties from Fondant Fibre:
(Image source)

These prepared rolls of fibre are called punis and are tighter and more compact than rolags. I was wondering how they compare and have been looking forward to spinning them up on the wheel.

Day 1 
However, before I could get started on those, I wanted to finish some yarn I had begun last winter. I hadn't actually spun anything for about 7 months! So I dusted off my wheel and finished this blue yarn that consists of about 6 different shades of blue. It was not a nice spinning experience! The fibre, most likely merino, was so compact in places that drafting it was almost impossible. That was the reason I didn't finish it in winter. You can imagine how glad I am to be done with it! At least it looks nice.
With that out of the way, I started on the first yellow punis and discovered that they, too, were a bit too compact in some cases. So far my spinning has not gone as smoothly as I had hoped! I am already looking forward to finish this and getting some of my favourite fibre out of the way. Still, I think the finished yarn will look great. I want to keep it unplyed so that the colour changes stay as they are, going from yellow to magenta and finally dark green.
By the end of the day, I had spun for 3 hours. That is far more than I expected I would do since my torn muscle, although healing, is causing a lot of problems when I am sitting down. I shall post periodic updates throughout the tour, so let me know how you are getting on and what your goals are. Allez!




No comments:

Post a Comment