Friday, 30 May 2014

WIP: Stitch Surfer Socks

I know,  I know. I have enough WIPs going on at the moment and wasn't going to start anything new, least of all yet another pair of socks. So, guess what. I am making now.

These Stitch Surfer socks were saved in my favourites for a long time and I only recently deleted them again, thinking I would never get around to making them. Then last week I listened to the Must Stash podcast where they mentioned the socks and I checked out #sskal14 on Instagram to see what others were doing. I very quickly got far too excited about Stitch Surfer and had a rummage through my stash despite all my good intentions of finishing up my existing projects first. Ah well.

Originally, the idea was to use yarn from my stash in the hope of using some more unloved balls of 4-ply. I quickly found a variegated green-blue yarn that I never knew what to do with, but failed to find a good match. Then, just by chance, The ball ended up on the table next to my latest red hexipuffs. The contrast was perfect and I knew that's the colour combo I wanted. Sadly, I had no red yarn anymore, so I did end up buying 50g of sock yarn online, which arrived the very next day.

Reading the pattern and ready to cast on, I was disappointed to find it's a toe-up pattern. I prefer cuff-down socks because it is less fiddly at the toe and I can knit my favourite heel. Still, it didn't stop me since one of the first things I ever knitted were toe-up socks. As expected, the toed was indeed very fiddly, especially with two circs and two colour yarns in use at the same time! Two inches in it became easier, though, and the pattern is also easily memorised by then. 
The only issue I had was with the heel whose description I misunderstood. Thanks to other knitters's project notes on Ravelry that contained links to videos, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I knitted that first heel four times before getting it right! Luckily, the fit is very good, which I wasn't sure it would be. On the whole I should have used smaller needles (I used 2.5 mm as always) or knitted the smaller size. As it is, the socks are roomy though it might be okay after a wash. I am definitely looking forward to wearing them! But first I have to finish this first sock. What are you knitting now?

No comments:

Post a Comment