Monday, 5 May 2014

Progress: Beekeeper's Quilt

The Beekeeper's Quilt by Tiny Owl Knits is possibly my longest WIP. According to the pattern, you need nearly 400 hexipuffs (these puffy knitted hexagons) to complete it. The finished size looks to be about big enough to go on a single bed, so originally my idea was to make it twice as large to put on our double bed instead. 

That said, this has been taking ages! I've come to the conclusion that I don't really have a use for a quilt for the bed; instead, I am going to make just enough hexipuffs to cover my armchair. I expect just under 400 hexipuffs should suffice, so I am not that far off my target right now. At the moment, I have around 230 hexipuffs. I'm getting there!

Usually, I don't work on this quilt regularly. There are phases during which I knit loads of hexipuffs in one go, but there are also very long stretches during which I forget about them till next time. Right now I am knitting more of them because of knit club. These little things are easy to carry with you and you don't have to focus much on what you're doing. I am now on my second big bag of stuffing and I suspect I might need a third in order to finish!

At the end I will have to find a good way to sew all these hexipuffs together. Not looking forward to that! I started in December 2011. This may take another few years.

5 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on this lovely quilt for some time but never started it. I have the feeling it may drive me insane! Well done for your progress so far, I'm looking forward to the finished result :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I look forward to finish it. Eventually. ;)

    It is a great project to knit in-between if you need something fairly mindless. And it will last you a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been working on mine for a while. I'm not stuffing mine and I'm knitting each new one from the old - less sewing up. And yes - 400 is a very conservative estimate. It's enjoyable but never ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had my eye on doing this for a while, but am a bit intimidated!

    Lauren from
    www.artramblingsatlavinias.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. No need to be afraid of it, Lauren. There's no need to rush so you can take your time with it and it is a great way to use up scraps.

    ReplyDelete