Sunday, 16 March 2014

The Spring Knitting & Stitching Show, London

 
 Guess where I was on that very sunny day yesterday! For the first time ever, I went to The Knitting & Stitching Show in London to have a look at all the woolly goodies. As I am not really a sewer, the sewing part of it did not interest me as much, so I wandered around the halls in search of anything I could knit or spin.
I set myself a (meagre) budget of £50 and here is what I came home with: 3 skeins of undyed sock yarn (2 of them with extra sparkly bits) so there will be some dyeing going on soon, a little project bag that came for free with my purchase of the yarn from Tall Yarns 'n Tales, a set of 3.5 mm rosewood knitting needles from The Little Knitting Company, and a small bottle of Soak wool wash (Celebrate) from the same place. 
These are all things I had always wanted to get at some point and Tall Yarns was the one place I definitely wanted to visit. I have bought undyed yarn from them before and it has always been really good quality. I look forward to dyeing the sparkly yarn, especially. They will probably end up with a solid colouring rather than a mix of colours.
I am extremely happy with my purchases! I was, however, a little bit disappointed by the show itself. There is a lot for sewers to see and it seemed that that made up the greatest part of the show. As a knitter, I would have liked to see a greater number of independent sellers of yarn, roving and the likes than I found there. When I looked through the list of sellers on the website, I actually knew just one of the companies. I thought more of the sellers I know from Wonderwool or Fibre Fest would be there too.

There wasn't much to photograph either, but I did find these suspended fish hats by the Silkfelt Collective in one of the aisles. They looked a lot of fun! The detail was amazing. Not sure where I'd wear a hat like that, but their art is fascinating.
There was also a small exhibition of fashion textiles of felted and sewn clothing. I especially liked the white dress that looked like it was made of feathers. In fact, it consisted of bits of fabric that had been machine embroidered to look like feather.

The show was quite busy, but the aisles are quite wide so there is usually a lot of space for everyone to get through without any problems. The sewing areas seemed more crowded than others. There were also a lot of seating areas, but many sat on the floor as well. The food available in the area was good as well and I was so tired by the end of the visit that I was glad to be able to sit down at a table and wake myself up with a bottle of Coke!
It was there that I had some lovely chats with other visitors. One of them had even bought those giant knitting needles to make rugs and throws with! Those do tempt me too, but I already have no space for my stash so they'll have to wait. Luckily everything I bought fit into this little project bag.

All in all, I am glad I went and did enjoy myself. I don't think that I will be back though because other events such as Wonderwool are better suited to my interests and offer a greater variety of sellers. I also - and this is highly subjective - have the impression that the overall quality of goods is better at other events. I suppose I will have to go to more events and find out for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun day indeed. I like sewing too, but would enjoy a knitting only organization more. Fabrics do not lure me in as much as yarn does :) And that undyed yarn looks very yummy :)

    ReplyDelete