Saturday, 22 March 2014

My 5 Favourite Yarns for Knitting

I am sure that anyone who has been knitting for a few years will have found their favourite yarns. There are so many beautiful yarns, especially from small indie sellers, so choosing just five favourites is a tough choice. Here is my top 5 of best yarns:

This yarn was sent to me by my American friend Wendy who herself had to order it from Canada. The yarn is definitely worth getting from across the pond if you can afford it. It isn't cheap, but the quality is amazing and so soft. I would rather use it for nice drapy shawls or even a top, though I did actually make a pair of socks called Staked that turned out really well (see blog post). Too bad it isn't superwash though, as I found out when I put my socks in the washing machine. Oops.

(Image source)

Koigu was the first yarn I bought in the UK. I was just in England for 6 weeks to decide whether it was a place I would like to live, and it so happened that it was my birthday during that stay. Going to Get Knitted was my birthday treat and I spent a very long time picking out some skeins. I still have the gloves I made from my purple skein! What I like about this Canadian brand is the quality of the yarn and especially the wide range of colours. Again, it is a pricey option, but well worth it if you can spare the change and are looking for a special treat.

(Image source)
 
This yarn is a blend of merino and silk which makes it soft and gives it a beautiful sheen. It drapes nicely and has a good weight. Actually, my current work in progress is knitted with this yarn and it is a pleasure to use. You get 1000 m per skein at £16, currently.

The middle skein of 100% silk is from Artisan Yarns, bought at the first ever craft fair I went to. (I am not sure now if the one on the left was also from the same company or not, but I think it might have been.) Fibre Fest is still my favourite show and it is a pity it hasn't taken place since. Luckily, you can find Artisan Yarns at other craft shows all over the country. The colours are beautiful and the yarns are fantastic. I still haven't used my skein of pure silk because I want to keep it for a special shawl and already have one in mind.

5. Noro
(Image source)
Now, Noro isn't everyone's cup of tea. It seems to be much like Marmite in that people either love it or hate it. the main reason knitters aren't keen on it is that the yarn is uneven at times as it is not plyed, has knots that may occasionally change the colour gradient, and may rip if it is too thin in places. Personally, I haven't had any of these issues (yet) and I continue to use Noro Kureyon Sock and Noro Silk Garden because of their colourways. There are still 3 or 4 balls of Kureyon Sock in my stash from a holiday in Exeter, I just remembered!

So what are your favourites? Which yarns can you not do without? Let me know in the comments.


5 comments:

  1. Lovely choices! I love knitting socks but find that they don't stand up to much wear and tear. Should I be using proper sock wool rather than just random stuff from my stash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise! Proper sock yarn is usually best, especially if it has a bit of nylon in it as well. This makes it more durable. I find that pure wool will wear out quickly, especially if you wear these socks with shoes (I only wear them indoors and without shoes).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nadia. I tend to wear mine indoors too, all the better to admire them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooow Ib love with Artisan yarn and Noro! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pleasure, Demy! There are so many yarns I haven't even tried yet so I am sure I will be expanding my list at some point.

    ReplyDelete