Despite it being winter, which means that wet things such as laundry and wool dry really slowly in my cold flat, I did some more yarn dyeing recently. I used a skein of Regia 4-ply sock yarn that I had been wanting to turn into a lovely teal variegated yarn for future sock designs. Also, this was going to be my first attempt at dyeing in a new microwave oven so I had no idea if it would work at all!
It turns out, everything worked fine. I used a bit too much dye in this because I wanted to make sure there would be no white patches, and the yarn did take almost all of it in the end with only a little dye washing out afterwards. Mind you, we'll see how much more comes out when the finished socks get washed! I was quite surprised by the amount of red dye that came out of the Smaug socks not too long ago.
The yarn took 3 days to dry... We need some warmer temperatures over here. I, for one, am ready for spring.
The photos don't represent the true colour, unfortunately. The yarn looks blue while in reality it is actually a very nice shade of teal with lighter and darker strands. I think it will look perfect once knitted up and can't wait to cast on! But it will have to wait because I am finishing up some WIPs and I am also designing a set of mittens with stranded colourwork (and sheep!). Stay tuned!