Saturday, 1 February 2014

Picking Up a Long-term Knitting Project

 (Image: Kieran Foley)

It's been so long that even long-time readers of this blog problaby don't remember this knitting project:
I started knitting the Seascape Stole by Kieran Foley in July 2011! I got the recommended yarn in a different colourway and it looks lovely. I chose a greenish shade that still resembles the sea thanks to a tinge of blue. However, knitting with Rowan Kidsilk Haze was such a hassle because of its fine and fuzzy nature, and keeping track of the detailed charts was so difficult that I put it all aside. Years passed and even though I love the stole, I just couldn't face knitting any more of it. 
Forward 3 years and things are different. I now have a decent, large knitting chart holder (KnitPro) and the patience to continue. And it's going great! Having the chart holder is making all the difference and now it is really enjoyable to sit back in my armchair with a good reading lamp to get on with this project. (I had neither the chair nor the lamp the first time around. Come to think of it, I don't think I had any stitch markers back then either! Knitting is so much easier now with all the right tools.)
It didn't take long to make progress and I am almost finished now. Within a few days I knitted over half of the stole and was enjoying it immensely. I am looking forward to finishing Seascape soon and I wonder how it will look once it's ready to wear.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! I can't wait to finish it and wear it. Just one more chart repeat to go before I get to the edging now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely pattern - will you be blocking it? Well done to you for picking it up again! So many of my Unfinished Objects wind up being returned to the yarn they once were! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Holly,

    Yes, blocking is essential! At the moment the pattern isn't really visible. I either pin my knitting fown and spray it with water or soak it before blocking. That seems to work really well.

    ReplyDelete