Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Picking Up Another WIP

In an attempt to finally finish up all my WIPs, I recently dug out my "Grosse Bachforelle", a larger version of Kleine Bachforelle. I first started it in August 2011 after a Wendy, a good friend of mine, made me a full chart for a larger version. The trouble we both had with the original patterns is that the charts are so confusing and all over the place so you have to piece them together as you go. I don't know about you, but I have no patience for that!

(Image: Ute Sturm)

However, I really like the little fish in the pattern and didn't want to just let the pattern go and move on to something else just because it looked too confusing to get my head around. So I got my teal Fyberspates Scrumptious lace yarn and denim beads and cast on. I knitted the entire edging and started with the fish, only to discover that something wasn't working as it should. I kept having the wrong stitch count and couldn't figure out what went wrong. So much time has passed now that I really have no idea what I might have been doing at the time. I am beginning to suspect I might have switched to the wrong chart at some point without noticing. 

So now here I am, 3 years later, still none the wiser. I ripped back to just the edging and the stitch count is still off by a significant number. I've decided to start from the beginning now and see how it goes. Instead of unravelling the edging as well, I will leave it and start knitting from scratch. This way, if something goes wrong again, I can always go back to the first attempt or compare the two to see what's gone wrong. 

I am determined to finish it! My friend Wendy and I will be having a little KAL of our own.

Have you ever knitted something that drove you crazy? What is the oldest WIP you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment