Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Smaug Socks In Progress

There was a time I knew everything about Tolkien's Middle-earth. And I do mean everything. I read so much about it that taking my Masters exam about Tolkien's work was a breeze. Then along came knitting and I read more about wool and fibre crafts, so Tolkien got a bit buried in my brain. But now with the second instalment of The Hobbit about to come out in theatres, I can actually combine Tolkien and knitting: meet Smaug.
(Image: Claire Ellen)
They look fantastic and I've been wanting to knit them for a year or so. So a week ago I dyed some sock yarn and was ready to cast on. It's going great so far. The entire first leg and heel are now finished and I'm going to begin the gusset today. Hope it goes well!
It's a real pleasure to knit the scales (and much simple than I expected it to be). I wish the heel were reinforced in some way though, but in that case you wouldn't be able to continue the scale pattern, I suspect. Really like the whole look so far!

What are you knitting right now?

2 comments:

  1. They do look amazing. I love them. I am also a bit of a Tolkien fan. I love the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not keen on The Hobbit, but everything else is right up my street. I haven't yet decided if I want to see the new Hobbit film in theatres or wait till it comes out on DVD like I did last time. Hm...

    ReplyDelete