Monday, 23 September 2013

Pi in the Sky

My grandmother always says she doesn't want anything much for Christmas, especially not something knitted (presumably because she thinks it is too much work). So I have resisted for four years and not sent her anything knitted, but this year I'll just do it!

I have two large balls of no-name yarn that feel like they are probably 100% acrylic. There's so much of it that I had no idea what to do with it all other than knitting a shawl from it. That's when I had the idea to make one for my grandmother for Christmas because she is already complaining about how cold it is in her flat right now. What's she going to do in winter?

During my searches on Ravelry, I came across the Pi in the Sky shawl that is a pattern modelled after Elizabeth Zimmermann's Pi shawl recipe. This is something I've always wanted to try, so the choice was made.

The shawl is a surprisingly quick knit and very pleasant to make. I got the first small chart wrong because I didn’t read the rows the right way round (this happens more often than I would like to admit), but because it is just a small section, it isn't too obvious and you wouldn't know if you hadn't made one yourself. The pattern instructions and one chart contain small errors, but nothing that can’t be fixed. I also like the frilly edging that gives it a playful, little-old-lady look that will be perfect for my grandmother. The colour is spot on as well!


2 comments:

  1. It looks great. She will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a thoughtful and unique gift for your grandmother. She's a lucky lady. :-)

    ReplyDelete