Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Blue Steps - Baby Booties

No, we are not having a baby!

A friend of mine asked me to knit some baby booties for her and I really liked the look of Blue Steps. The original pattern is in German and from what I gather it is best to use that version rather than the English translation. if you want to knit these, make sure you read other knitters' notes on Ravelry first. They are incredibly helpful.

I had a lot of issues with the way in which the English pattern was written. So much so that the first bootie looked entirely different and was huge! I tried again and finally got it right. However, the way the brioche stitch is described, it actually ends up back to front so that I had to turn the bootie inside out once it was finished. Also, this meant I had to purl the rolled edging rather than knit it.

It doesn't take long to knit these and you should get done in two evenings in front of the television - once you've figured out the instructions, of course. I still like the booties, but mine are a bit twisted and I am not convinced a little bit of blocking is going to help here. I will give it a try though.


2 comments:

  1. They look really good to me. I have never knit booties before. I think I would be afraid to knit with a translated pattern. I would be afraid of a mistranslation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tawnee!

    I had no idea the pattern was translated so I clicked on the provided link that led me to the English version on the designer's website. If I had known, I would have knitted according to the original German version. Somehow I assumed English was the original because that's far more common. Oops. Luckily, it worked out well in the end anyway.

    ReplyDelete