Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Spun This Summer 4: Milchschaf (Dairy Sheep)

I keep getting introduced to fibres I haven't used before. It started with seacell, camel, banana tops and now dairy sheep tops. A while back a Raveler talked about having just spun some dairy sheep fibre (edited to add: it's an East Frisian sheep breed) and I curious as to what it was because I hadn't heard of it yet. She then surprised me with a 50g sample from Chantimanou that I immediately took to my wheel.

The fibre was dyed in shades of blue and green which has resulted in a lovely colour for the finished yarn. The material itself is very coarse and can be difficult to spin, so I had to pay attention to what I was doing. The finished yarn is therefore a coarse single ply - I still need to wash and measure it and decide what it can be used for.

Another new fibre, another experience! Now I need a break from the more unusual materials and get back to my usual suspects though.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh that's lovely. Is Milchschaf a breed of sheep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for your comment!:)

    Milchschaf is a hardy breed of East Frisian sheep bred to produce milk. They are new to me too, so I was curious to see what the wool is like.

    ReplyDelete