Friday, 16 August 2013

Spun This Summer 3: Banana Tops

As you know from a previous post, I have been spinning banana fibre for the first time, and it wasn't easy! Recently, I finished it and it has resulted in a sturdy, very fine single ply that, to be quite honest, I am not entirely sure what to do with now. It is too firm to be plied with wool, in my opinion, so that's out of the question. However, a friend suggested using it for crochet because it feels so much like cotton. 
Since this is an organic material and rather unusual, I am not sure how long lasting this yarn really is. Also, I suspect I cannot dye it with acid dyes because it is plant material. Might have to get the Dylon out again.

Spinning this was quite an experience and I am glad I gave it a go. What's unusual or new-to-you materials have you used in your crafts?

2 comments:

  1. I saw the title of this post in the Etsy teams and was intrigued! I never knew you could get yarn out of a banana! I'd love to see what you use it for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura! Thanks for stopping by from Etsy. :)

    Before I came across this fibre at a show, I had no idea it existed either. I was curious and just had to get some of it. It is very shiny too.

    ReplyDelete