Monday, 26 August 2013

Spinning: What's on the Wheel Now?

After my stints with unusual fibres, I have finally returned to something more familiar that I just know is going to be awesome. This is very finely crimped 28 micron Falkland tops dyed in the colourway Midnight by the wonderful dyer MandaCrafts. I love her tops and bought quite a few bags last time I went to Wonderwool over a year ago. Finally, I've got the time to dive right into her squishy soft Falkland again.
The material is wonderful to spin. It makes for really relaxing, smooth spinning on the wheel, which is why I decided to try a new spinning technique with it. the UK Spinners group on Ravelry set itself the challenge for August to spin longdraw. Now, this is something I hadn't managed to do before though I tried. Instead, I never got any further than doing short draw, which was a bit frustrating. But as soon as I started on the Falkland, it just clicked! It is perfect for this technique and I am still amazed I can do longdraw after all!

If you want to learn more about longdraw, check out this video:



What techniques are you finding hard to master in your crafts?


4 comments:

  1. Fascinating stuff! I'm not a crafter but the video was really interesting too. Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment!

    The video definitely helps explain how the technique works, even if it is a bit long. I have found it to be the most enjoyable and informative on the subject. If it gets your vote even though you are not a crafter, then that's saying a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful. I still haven't managed to get my wheel going again, so will save this post for once I have gotten back into practice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya! I'm glad it is goiong to be useful. :) Fingers crossed the wheel gets going again.

    ReplyDelete