Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Finished iPad Mini Cover

Having finished knitting the fish pattern for my iPad mini cover, all that was left to do was the lining and deciding on a way to fasten the top so that the iPad wouldn't slide out. Of course I procrastinated again - when it comes to sewing by hand, I try to put it off till it can no longer wait. How I wish I had a sewing machine (and space for it)!
Taking a look at my stash, I decided on a grey floral fabric from Scandinavia (no, not IKEA) for the lining. Even though I had considered adding batting to  cushion the iPad, I finally decided against it because the knitting seems to be protection enough for everyday use. I sewed everything by hand, which makes it look a little crooked at the top where I sewed the knitting to the fabric, but it does the job.
Finally, the fastening was a real issue at first because I didn't really want to use buttons and I have no velcro. Considering how many odd buttons are in my sewing jar right now though, I did go for the button solution. I made a loop to slip around it - a simple solution, but fun to make using this tutorial. Here is a video tutorial if you prefer to see how it's done:

So that's it! I've got a protective cover made from materials I had in my stash already. No need to spend money on an expensive cover for now. Mine isn't perfect, but it does the job and it's handmade too.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Louise! You can find it here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/swedish-fish-socks

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great!
    Andrea aka Frau Leo

    ReplyDelete