Monday, 4 March 2013

Designing Socks With Lace

I am currently making my way through a pair of socks that is taking me a little longer than usual. That's because I am designing the pattern as I go along. I want to offer knitting patterns on AbsoKnittingLutely and Ravelry at some point and am slowly designing items that are interesting, but not too difficult to knit. 
These as yet nameless socks have two lace panels along the cuff that will converge in the foot. I think they will converge much sooner than expected so I will probably add another lace section to the top of the foot once I get there. 

So far it is a pleasant process and the knitting itself is going quickly. Having knitted so many socks already, I was very confident with these - only to discover I messed up the heel turn the first time around. Sometimes I get the order wrong in which it should be done and have to rip back a little. Luckily, it wasn't too bad and I've fixed it now. I am working on the gusset at the moment.

Once the pattern is ready, I will ask some test knitters to knit these socks in solid or semisolid colours to make the lace stand out more. That lace is really pretty to look at, so it would be a shame not to show it.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog via the Etsy Europeanstreetteam Thread.
    And I'm more surprised about your book than about your lace socks!
    Didn't know that there were actually some people working on Maori novels at the same time in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nauli,

    Thanks for your comment!

    Does that mean you are also working on Maori literature? That would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete